A.K.A. South Congress
South Congress has become one of the main hot spots in all of Austin, Texas. From its food trucks, eclectic shops, famous photograph spots, and one-of-a-kind restaurants, South Congress is a must see place to visit.
SoCo starts from Ben White Boulevard and goes up to Lady Bird Lake. All up and down South Congress Ave. are places to stop and shop around for all ages of all kinds. Although the food truck numbers have begun to dwindle down and relocate, there are still a few good food trucks to visit on SoCo that you should try. If food trucks aren’t the place for you, then there are hundreds of hole in the wall restaurants that are sure to fill up your appetite. Plus there are plenty of healthy and gluten free choices!
Restaurants I recommend:
- Hopdoddy– An all-natural burger bar with healthy selections for burgers, salads, and beers. Gluten-Free! Expect lines to wrap around the building, so get there before prime dinning hours!
- Home Slice Pizza– Home-made pizza and calzones fresh from the oven! This is one of the hot spots in Austin and you must get there because seating is limited in this dark, quint pizza bar. If there is no seating at tables, feel free to grab a spot at the bar and watch all the pizza getting made fresh.
- Magnolia Cafe– Magnolia is local to only Austin, Texas, with two restaurants in the whole city. They serve healthy and gluten-free options with a HUGE selection to choose from. I mean like literally eight full pages of choices to choose from with anything from pastas, Mexican food, and breakfast for dinner. I recommend visiting the original Magnolia’s on 5th Street versus the one on Congress, it’s a tad bit better.
After dinner or for a quick grab, I highly recommend Hey Cupcake!. They are a wonderful dessert food trailer full of delicious cupcakes that look beautiful and taste beautiful as well. Their assortment is small, but there will be something you like no matter what. Try the famous Michael Jackson, a chocolate and cream cheese cupcake!
- Lucy in Disguise with Diamonds (rumored that Bob Dylan shopped there)
- Uncommon Objects
- Allens Boots
- Kendra Scott (the original and flagship store)
- Maya Star
Also for shopping on South Congress, the first Thursday of every month there is a local trade market where shops have huge discounts and stay open later than regular store hours. There are also events and vendors up and down the streets, so it will make a fun evening for a date or time with friends.
Check in with my blog for next week to see awesome photography spots, some on South Congress, that have become famous across the country and have tagged themselves with what Keeps Austin Weird.